The University is currently growing its genomics-related research programs by expanding its state-of-the-art research facilities and is presently soliciting applications for a Laboratory Manager.
The candidate will be responsible for overseeing the university-wide logistics, implementation, and operational aspects of all the research and teaching laboratories to ensure that faculty members, research staff and students receive full support on all the relevant aspects of their research activities and courses. The incumbent will also be responsible for managing laboratory staff, overseeing procurement of laboratory supplies and assets, maintenance of equipment, resource management, and preparation of materials for all laboratory-based teaching and research activities.
- Manage and maintain laboratory spaces and facilities and monitor the research facilities to identify scope for improvement and implementation of any required changes.
- Establishment of a maintenance program and negotiation of service contracts for equipment.
- Oversee training of laboratory technicians, research staff and students on various techniques and equipment.
- Liaise with and provide technical guidance to faculty members, laboratory technologists, researchers and students, whenever required.
- Monitoring of compliance with statutory safety requirements and ensure adherence to safety policies, procedures, and instructions, while maintaining the necessary records and checks.
- Ensure seamless supply of laboratory equipment and consumables as well as management of the in-house laboratory supplies store.
- Assist with budgeting, financial management, obtaining quotations and seeking approval regarding purchasing requests.
- Provision of guidance on purchasing of supplies, equipment, and services to end users and oversee of all expenditure on the laboratory.
- Provides academic support in all forms whenever required (including workshops and conferences).
- Oversee routine implementation of the practical laboratory sessions, including preparation of equipment, and reagents and supply of materials in a timely manner
Essentials and Desirables
- A master’s degree in biomedical science (preferably genetics or any other relevant subject).
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in managing and operating university laboratories across different disciplines, including genetics/genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, tissue culture, BSL-2/3, etc.
- Exceptional leadership, critical thinking, organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Experience in managing people including performance management and staff development.
- Experience in running maintenance programs for both general and highly specialized equipment.
- Good understanding of genetics/genomics and related research areas, equipment and techniques
- Experience of financial management
- Highly effective interpersonal and communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Ability to manage and prioritize a diverse and demanding workload.
- Capable of multitasking, working proactively and with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
Interested candidates should submit their full detailed CV and a cover letter indicating their relevant experience, summary of previous research contributions and motivation to move to MBRU