Surgical Skills Technologist
The Institute for Excellence in Health Professions Education (ieHPE) is advancing health in the UAE and the region through innovative and integrated health professions education and research at the service of humanity. One of the centers of excellence at ieHPE is the Center for Advanced Surgical Education (CASE) – an American College of Surgeons Accredited Education Institute (ACS-AEI) with high standards of education and training of surgical teams.
The role holder will provide technical support for all simulation operations including, but not limited to, course preparation, course clean-up, maintenance and repair of human patient simulators and associated computers/software, task trainers, simulation AV system, departmental specific databases, and related multimedia peripherals. Additionally, the successful candidate will prepare and dispose of biological tissue for specific training courses at CASE.
- Ensure the successful operation of all technical aspects of simulation training while maintaining the skills laboratories at the highest possible readiness level
- Ensure all equipment is setup and working correctly prior to the training sessions
- Ensure the appropriate consumables are available for all teaching/examination events and maintain an accurate inventory of supplies required for each event
- Handling and disposal of biological tissue
- Acquires and maintains skills and knowledge of simulation equipment catalogues and operation
- Provides guidance on research of best practices and analyzes internal/external reports and trends to identify new enhancements for service delivery and to contribute to the overall academic plans of the University.
- Provide other support to the lead of CASE, including the preparation of reports and presentations and assisting with effective gathering, collation and dissemination of data and statistics
Knowledge and experience:
- Experience with health related learning technology/simulation would be an advantage
- Experience in either the handling and disposal of biological tissue would be an advantage
- Experience with audio visual technology would be an advantage
- Accomplished in using Microsoft Office suite and with the ability to troubleshoot basic hardware/software issues
- Team Player – works collaboratively with others to maximise individual and team effectiveness in order to achieve required service levels
- Ability to work on own initiative with minimal supervision on routine matters
- Demonstrated customer focus
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good written and verbal communication and reporting capability
- Good organisational skills and the ability to demonstrate initiative
- Learns quickly and responds effectively to changing operational needs and circumstances
- Solving every-day student and staff issues by quickly identifying possible corrective measures and recommending/selecting the best solution
- Bachelor’s Degree in clinical simulation, science or a related health field
- Fluent English skills (written and spoken) required
- Arabic is preferred
Years of Experience:
- A minimum of 2-3 years in clinical simulation or technical support ideally within the healthcare sector.