Topic: Nickel‐Titanium Instruments: Review of History, current concepts and future Challenges
Preparation of the root canal system is one of the most important procedures in endodontic treatment. Several innovations have been introduced over the last few years in root canal therapy. Nowadays, due to the use of rotary NiTi instruments, it is easier to perform predictable and conservative endodontic treatments, with less straightening of the original canal anatomy in curved root canals, thus achieving optimal results with time saving procedures.
The aim of this presentation is to review development of such instruments and their generation classification. The design features, advantages and uniqueness of various NiTi systems available in the regional market will be highlighted.
This lecture will provide:
- Explain briefly the objectives of canal shaping with particular emphasis on NiTi instrumentation
- Explain the evolution of root canal instruments
- Identify the critical distinctions between shaping canals using continuous rotation vs. a reciprocation method
- Highlight the current instrument design concept, technology and techniques in root canal shaping
- Discuss future strategies of NiTi instrument development
CPD accreditation number: CPD-001-20