Drug and Pharmacology Resources
Drug information references play an important role in pharmacy practice. Al Maktoum Medical Library subscribes to a range of high-quality pharmacology resources to support informational needs of MBRU students, faculty and staff. The below databases are currently subscribed by the library and these databases these are key drug informative resources.
Databases are accessible to everyone on campus, remote access to the resources is limited to registered members of the library. UpToDate is only available to MBRU students, faculty and staff.
UpToDate is a large, evidence-based online resource covering thousands of topics. Designed to answer point-of-care clinical questions. UpToDate contains drug monographs from Lexicomp including a separate drug interactions module.
The same editorial team develops the drug topics in UpToDate and the more extensive drug information found in Lexicomp®. This means the content you see when treating the patient tightly aligns with what is used by nurses, pharmacists, and other care team members who use Lexicomp. This synergy alleviates unnecessary back and forth communication when discrepancies arise between disconnected resources. And it helps patients, because they receive clear, consistent instructions and guidance throughout their journey.
UpToDate grants you access to the following drug databases:
- General and disease-specific dosing, including evidence-based off-label dosing
- Detailed dose adjustments for impaired kidney or liver function, obesity, or toxicity
- Pediatric and neonatal dosing and drug administration
- A separate drug interactions program (Lexi-Interact) that provides more in-depth analysis of drug-drug, herb-drug and herb-herb interactions
- Drug adverse effects, warnings, and precautions including practical detail such as premedication information and patient monitoring parameters
- Drug administration detail including drug brands, available strength and dosage form information
- Current FDA Special Alerts and major Health Canada safety communications
ClinicalKey’s drug information is provided by Gold Standard (Clinical Pharmacology).
ClinicalKey delivers drug monographs including neonatal/pediatric content, patient education, IV compatibility, toxicology, drug class overviews, CMS approved oncology content, custom reports and more.
MedicinesComplete from the Royal Pharmaceutical Society, is the definitive online resource for drug and healthcare information, bringing together the world’s leading resources to provide healthcare professionals with expert and unbiased knowledge to make the best clinical decisions on the use and administration of drugs and medicines. Library subscribes to BNF and Drugs in Pregnancy and Lactation from MedicinesComplete.
The British National Formulary is the unrivalled guidance on prescribing, dispensing and administering medicines.
The BNF is the only drug formulary in the world that is both independent, and has rigorous, accredited content creation processes. It is trusted by health professionals worldwide as their primary source for minimising medication errors. Key features of BNF includes;
- Speed and safety: Provides rapid reference to essential information on the selection of safe and effective medicines for individual patients
- Always up-to-date: The content is revalidated, revised, and updated on a monthly basis, making sure you have access to the very latest prescribing knowledge
- Evidence Grading: As part of NICE accreditation recommendations, BNF content is now evidence graded to reflect the strength of evidence behind them, increasing transparency to support healthcare professionals with clinical decision making
- Worldwide credibility: The BNF uses clinical evidence from a diverse range of sources and a network of experts, giving you the confidence to select medicines safely
Access Medicine from McGraw Hill will help you to search drugs by generics, trade names, drug classes. Information provided includes: clinical pharmacology, indications & usage, contraindications, warnings & precautions, pregnancy & lactation, adverse reactions, interactions, dosing, administration, storage & compatibility, monitoring, patient education, and pricing.
NRC Plus provides access information about trade and generic drugs, drug classes, IV therapy best practices and more