(Full Scholarship Available)
August 1, 2021
Full Time - On Campus
About the Program
One of our core goals at MBRU is to train and nurture scientists and support research in the medical and biomedical sciences in the UAE. The PhD in Biomedical Sciences is the first doctoral program at MBRU. The program will focus on broader themes of medical and biomedical sciences that capitalize on the areas of strength within MBRU. The program will further provide prospective graduate students with a strong foundation in the frontiers of biomedical sciences through a variety of course work, as well as an intense laboratory research training.
English Language Requirements
- An overall band 6.5 with no skill less than 6.0
- ‘IELTS Indicator’ will not be considered for admission purposes
- Must have been taken within the last two years
- A single certificate to be submitted, combined scores are not accepted.
- iBT 93 with a minimum writing score of 20
- PBT is not accepted
- ‘My Best Scores’ will not be considered for admission purposes
- Must have been taken within the last two years
• Applicants who are native speakers of English and have completed their most recent university degree in an English-medium institution may be exempted from the English proficiency requirement subject to approval of the relevant Admissions Committee.
• Applicants who are fresh graduates from MBRU’s Master programs shall be exempted from the English requirement.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited for a face-to-face interview on campus.
- Transcripts and Degree Certificates submitted will require attestation from the Ministry of Education in the UAE for degrees awarded inside the UAE.
- Transcripts and Degree Certificates awarded outside the UAE will require attestation from the Ministry of Education. Also, applicants will need to obtain a Certificate of Equivalency from the Ministry.
All applicants for admission are required to obtain equivalency of their educational degree from the UAE Ministry of Education. The attestation process depends upon whether you completed your secondary schooling or undergraduate degree within the UAE or outside the UAE.
Applicants who completed secondary schooling or a Bachelor degree outside the UAE
must have their educational degree and transcripts/mark sheets certified by:
- The issuing educational institute and/or recognized authority for tertiary education in the host country in which you completed your education
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the host country
- The UAE Embassy in that host country
- The Ministry of Education in the UAE
Additionally, the UAE Ministry of Education must issue an Equivalency Certificate.
Equivalency requirements for high school degree attestation can be found on Ministry of Education website.
Equivalency requirements for Bachelor degree attestation can be found on Ministry of Education website.
|Application Fee||AED 1,000 + AED 50 (5% VAT). This fee is non-refundable.|
|Seat reservation fee||AED 10,000. Due upon accepting your conditional offer (Non-refundable)|
|Annual Tuition Fee||AED 69,000/year for the first 3 years and AED 55,200 in the final year. Payable by the beginning of the academic year|
|Scholarship||Scholarship to cover tuition costs and stipends to cover living expenses are available for outstanding Emirati and international students based on merit. Basic health insurance and visa costs will also be covered as needed.|
|Discount options||Click here to view the discount options|
Tuition Fee Refund Policy
All tuition charges and fees are non-refundable, except as specified and summarized below:
- In the event of a student formally withdrawing from the university in the first semester, the following refund schedule will apply:
- 100% (excluding the seat reservation fees) if before the official beginning of the academic year.
- 50% of the total semester fees if before the end of the second week of classes
- No refund after the end of the second week of classes
- A full refund before the start of the term is possible in cases of
- If an applicant / student does not meet the academic admission / progression requirement as per published criteria
- Visa rejection
- If a student is awarded a scholarship (refund will be according to the granted amount)
- If a student does not meet the medical requirements
- For the continuing students (starting from semester 2 of the program):
- If the application form for withdrawal/deferral/drop of course was formally initiated prior to the start of the semester then the student is eligible for 100% refund.
- The Director of DSSR will request the formation of a committee to decide on tuition refund should an unexpected scenario occur.
- If an applicant cannot take up their seat at MBRU as a result of a situation that is outside of their control, and was not publicly clear at the time of application or when fee commitments were made then the applicant may be entitled to a full refund of tuition fees, seat reservation, and any application charges. Examples include:
- State-wide resolution such as visa restrictions
- Late University regulation such as suspension / cancellation of a program
- Late progression decision
- The refund policy excludes the following:
- Application fee
- Seat holding fee
- Tuition fee in the event of dismissal for disciplinary reasons
- A penalty of AED 500 may apply for:
- Late payment
- Bounced cheque
Frequently Asked Questions
Graduate education is an integral part of our mission, and consequently, MBRU has established a graduate program of high quality leading to a PhD in Biomedical Sciences. The program will provide the students with the opportunity to work with a diverse and talented research faculty and will match the student’s interest with the appropriate faculty member from day one.
The research work will take place in newly equipped, state-of-the-art laboratories with a focus on the genetics of developmental diseases, cancer biology, diabetes, cardiovascular, respiratory, and infectious diseases, pharmacology, male reproduction, lncRNA, stem cell biology, and tissue engineering.
MBRU does not provide direct accommodation to students. However, we have negotiated on behalf of the students with several private providers. Complete information can be found here.
The duration of the program is four years.